It’ s almost that time of year… the clocks move back; the days get shorter, cooler and darker.
Here are a few pointers for preparing for the moving the clocks from Daylight Savings (PDT) back to Standard Time (PST):
- Keep your regular day and night routine
- Maintain positive sleep associations
- Remember consistency is key
- Avoid any other unnecessary transitions over this time – eg. moving your child into a big kid bed or night weaning
Below is a step by step guide to transitioning your baby/toddler into the new time (Sunday 5th November, 2017). My recommendation is moving bedtime, nap times, and meal times 15 mins later over a few days. You also have the option of doing this more gradually (i.e. 10 mins later per day over 6 days), or cold turkey; however, the latter can be more disruptive for children and babies who are less adaptable.
|Wednesday 1st Nov
|Usual sleep and feed times
|Thursday 2nd Nov
|Wake your baby up 15 minutes later in morning
Move bedtime later by 30 min
|Friday 3rd Nov
|Wake your baby up 30 min later in morning
Move bedtime later by 45 min
|Saturday 4th Nov
|Wake your baby up 45 min later
Move bedtime later by 1 hour
|Sunday 5th Nov
|Regular waking time
|8:00am (doesn’t apply)
- The above assumes a 7:00am to 7:00pm schedule. If your child is on a 7:30pm or 8:00pm to 7:30am or 8:00am schedule before this transition, the above steps need not apply.
- You will also need to move meal and nap times later each day by 15 minutes